Saturday, 24 July 2010

What a surprise!!


I was in the garden yesterday and something shot passed my eye line into the honeysuckle and I saw it hoovering!! I thought blimey that looked like a very small hummingbird but it can't be it had to be a moth, it just hoovered from plant to plant. Searched the net and found it's called 'The Hummingbird Hawk Moth" Have any of you seen one?

Just saw our nature expert in our village and he said he didn't see one last year but did the year before, it depends how warm it is how far north they migrate!

4 comments:

  1. you dont get hummingbirds in the uk! although i really want some..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been cool and very scary if it was a hummingbird, didn't think UK was that warm yet!!! It was a lot smaller but still amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had them in the past but as your neighbour said, I didn't see any last year but I did see several in the couple of years before hand. Non this year, so far. Great photo BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I have to own up I did pinch it!!! I was trying to keep up with the moth after I grabbed the camera, but it got to the lavender darted around too quickly and flew off before I could get a shot of it!!

    ReplyDelete